Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Martyrdom and Motherhood

"To be self-interested is not being selfish."

Being a SAHM puts me in danger of turning into a martyr mom. What is that? It is a mom who sacrifices her all, her whole being for the sake of her children.

It is so easy to turn into one when you are a SAHM, being 24/7 with the children. The husband does not help either, with his numerous "suggestions"... "Dear, I think you should do.. blah, blah, blah, about this child/that child and his problem/her problem."

Being a martry mom does not make you a good mom. It turns you into one tired, whiny mom. No one can be a martyr continuously day in day out. One day, you'll want out... BIG TIME! One day the bubble will burst!

Not taking care of yourself will wear you out and when you are worn out, your children and spouse, the very people who have turned you into that martyr will suffer for it.

It is okay to be a temporary martyr when the situation calls for it, when your baby is a newborn, when a child is ill but a good mother must always remember to take care of herself.

Taking care of yourself first before you take care of others does not make you a selfish mother. Loving yourself first will give you more energy to care for and love your little ones and not so little ones.

Hmm... so how shall I take care of myself today? I think I will go and sweat it out to some exercises, then I shall listen to some relaxing music before I have a good shower and hair wash. After which I shall style my hair a bit and apply some make-up, take a good book from the shelf to read, have a quiet peaceful lunch .... before returning to my job as a mother.

I haven't had the chance to do this in a while, which is why I said I was in danger of turning into a martyr, a fretty, tired, complaining, all stressed out martyr that is.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...