Thursday, October 05, 2006

What happens after a chemical pregnancy?

I experienced a chemical pregnancy in July this year. After I tested a faint positive followed by bleeding/my period a few days later I was worried and wanted to see my gynae however I was busy and couldn't make it for an appointment. I wanted to at least speak with her but I couldn't get pass the receptionist. That stressed me up even more. I had no choice but to read up what I could and wait but I knew I had to go for a follow up examination to make sure everything was ok.

I had so many questions in my mind then. Did I have a chemical pregnancy? If I had a chemical pregnancy, then what should I expect next? When will my menstruation cycle return to normal? Will I require any further treatment? When is it safe to conceive again?

Eventually, I waited for another cycle to pass which was again slightly late and then I went to see my gynae. She did an ultrasound scan and announced that everything was "all cleared". This meant that the miscarriage was "complete" and that there was no need for a D&C ie that I had experienced a "natural" miscarriage. She said that I had experienced a "false positive" or chemical pregnancy which resulted in the false positive pregnancy test. (very faint positive or positive then negative when tested again) Then she gave me the green light to try again for another baby, should I wish to. The next month my cycle returned to normal.

Here are some other resources which I found useful:

"It is believed that chemical pregnancies occur when the fetus dies immediately after conception. This happens before the embryo has a chance to implant in your uterus where it can grow and develop. " Read more here: Women's Health Information on Chemical Pregnancy.

"Most of the time, in an uncomplicated miscarriage, the bleeding is like a heavy period for a few days and the embryo passes with no further attention needed." Read more here: iVillage Q&A on Early Miscarriage: When to contact your health provider

"Ovulation can occur 14 days after a miscarriage with the next period 28 days after the miscarriage, but there is great personal variation. It may take a few cycles before your regular pattern is re-established." Read more here: Miscarriage Support Auckland Inc on Your Health After Miscarriage



Pin It

16 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    I experienced something similar at week 5.2 albeit totally painless, not heavy bleeding and clots (ugh). 8.5 week and scan didn't shw up a thing so I assume I experienced a chemical pregnancy too - thanks for the info, was searching on google and came across your site. Unfortunately this is my second non-viable pregnancy (Missed miscarriage at 8.3 weeks). 8 aint lucky for me:) Plus I had to grapple with asherman's for a year thanks to an aggressive D&C. Anyway cheers and wishing you all the luck in the world - if you feel up to it, you can mail me on ramathoopal@gmail.com!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mellowdrama,
    Welcome to my blog. I'm sorry to hear about your loss. For me, maybe its got to do with my age (I'm 41 this year) but I still haven't given up trying though. Cheers to you too and hope to see you again on my blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, I experienced the same thing June 23, at 5.2 weeks, I bleed for 4 days from June 23-27. but up to now August 1 I still haven't had my period but HPT showed negative. i just don't know what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is very interesting for me to read that blog. Thanks for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. BTW, why don't you change design :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone. I experienced a chemical pregnancy in November/December. I was around 3 weeks along I believe. I had 2 very much positive pregnancy tests, and then they started getting lighter and lighter. By the time I made it to the doctor, my hcg had dropped to 7. The hard thing at the time was that they thought I might still be pregnant and was just early along. I had to go back a week later to confirm that the hcg had dropped back to normal. It's confusing and frustrating because I wonder what happened exactly. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I pray for you all and best wishes in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    I have a simliar story. I took two at home tests, both positive with faint lines. I then went to my Gyno, have another test there also a faint line, Then he did a blood test, that also came back positive for prenancy. A few days after that I started to spot then heavey bleeding. I went to the ER and they did urrin, blood and a ultra sound all came back nagavtive for pregnancy. My HCG level was less than 1. All the doctors all seemed cofused as so did I and my hubby. I feel that it was a chemical pregnancy, I had all the signs of being pregnant. I do have one child she is 10 now. We are going to try again as soon as possible. I am only 31 and he is 35, At least I know we can conceve. It was very are to deal with when we found out that I wasn't pregnant. Good luck to all of you and it is fun to practice trying to get pregnant!!!
    I plan to just relax and let it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just experienced a chemical pregnancy at 5.2 weeks but I have not started bleeding yet. I did have signs of ovulation shortly after my numbers went down to a -1, I no longer had any signs of pregnancy. Last time this happened to me I began a period like bleeding and went on to have normal 29 day cycles after that, not this time so far. it's about 6 weeks lmp and I am wondering if it's at all possible for me to have ovulated when I though I did and gotten pregnant again. We "did it" the day I ovulated or the day before. i'm terrified to test I want to wait a little longer b/c I just ovulated a few days ago.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this blog. It has given me the info and hope I need. I had a miscarriage in Dec at 8 weeks, then last month a chemical pregnancy. Now I am experiencing pregnancy symptoms again and hope this is the one we get to see all the way through. I have a 2 year old, so im not sure why this is happening. Thank you for this info you have posted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My situation is simular. I was almost a week late and took three test. All were positive. Two days later I started spotting and then a heavy period with clots more than usual. I waited until the bleeding stopped and took two more HPT, they were negative. A few days later I noticed I have milk In my breast. Is this normal with a early chemical preganacy?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had the same. My digital test showed 1-2 weeks of pregnancy. I then had bleeding and rushed to the hospital. They've done an internal scan and couldn't find anything. The bleeding was pretty heavy and I was so worried. It must have been a chemical pregnancy as my progesterone levels were higher than normal, but the urine test at the hospital was negative. So, in fact, had I not taked the test I wouldn't even know about this potential pregnancy. Will be trying again and will pray it goes ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a cp this january.three positive clearblue digitals and a faint positive cheapie.i've been ttc for two months.i bled for five days and then the tests turned negative and when the bleeding stopped we were ttcing again and now its 2days past af and still no signs.i'll wait for one more week before i put my hopes up and get crushed.am 23 and i hope this is my time to be a mom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My fiance and i were tring for over a year, stopped a cpl months ago then found out march 19th we were expecting. I had spotted for a day the 17th then from the 19th of April to the first of may i spotted light everyday. I had a chemical pregnancy. :( i stoppes feeling pregnant the 3rd of may but about two days ago (may 5) staryed feeling pregnant again with no spotting! Im confused hopeful and terrified of whata gonna happen and dont know what to think. Its possible i miscarried.before i even took the test cause myonly confirmed hCg was only 30. So idk what to consiider my last menstrual or when i last ovulated. Trying not to get excited or even think about it but sooo hard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello
    my wife is 5 weeks pregant. Bt ultrasound doesnt shows anytin. Urine test r positive and beta hcg level is also increasin from 104 to 199 till yesterday. Is it chemical pregancy..??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be a normal pregnancy- those HCG #'s are too low to see anything on US yet. My concern would be that the numbers aren't doubling which could be a sign of chemical or ectopic pregnancy.

      How did this end up?

      Delete
  14. I had a chemical pregnancy and had a period afterwards but since then have not had a period its been 3 months does anyone know if this is normal my periods have never been this late???

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...