I hate housework. If I could escape from not doing housework, I would. I've come up with the best excuse "I'd rather my house by full of dust and filled with love then to have a spanking clean house empty of feeling." However, my spouse wouldn't buy my excuse. He told me that since he has a SAHM for a wife, he had envisioned that his house would be cleaner than other people's house and he would have better food to eat. Oh, the poor man. I think he must be sorely disappointed.
Here are some of the ways I have devised to clean my house. So far none of them lasted very long with me.
Here are my 10 ways to keep your house clean.
- 1. Clean a room a day. Concentrating on one area at a time makes the job seem less daunting.
- 2. Clean in 10 minute spurts. Do an activity you like but stop once in a while to do 10 minutes of cleaning. That way you won't feel like you are cleaning.
- 3. Clean as you move around the house. Pick up things as you go from one room to another. Clothes, toys, dirty dishes, books lying around can all be picked up on your way from one room to another.
- 4. Do your housework during waiting periods. I always iron my clothes while waiting for the children to finish eating so I won't nag at them for taking such a long time to eat.
- 5. Teach the kids to help around the house.
- 6. Train the man to help around the house.
- 7. Do a once a week spring clean and relax the rest of the time.
- 8. Do only the necessary. Ironing, Cooking, The rest can wait. Eg. that cobweb on the corner of the ceiling.
- 9. Clean while you are doing something else. I often clean the bathroom while I am showering or clean the bathroom sink when I brush my teeth. The only problem with this is you'd need to shower and brush your teeth in different bathrooms if you have several bathrooms.
- 10. Organize! Organize! Organize! Organize your house well. Have a place for everything and keep everything it its place. It really helps.