This year for my wedding anniversary, my spouse gave me a necklace. However, I am not a necklace person. I am a bracelet person. If you ask me to put down my jewellery preference order, it would be something like this…
- 1. Bracelet (especially charm bracelets!)
- 2. Rings (I prefer the dainty to the louder for modern or fashionable types)
- 3. Earrings (I like dangling. Earrings really bring out the wearer’s face and brightens it a little)
- 3. Necklaces (which are harder to match and sometimes clash with the wearer’s outfits)
There were other times in the past where he gave me bangles. However, I don’t like bangles, I prefer bracelets which are more flexible and pretty (in my eyes) and I love charm bracelets but I don’t think he even knows what a charm bracelet is!
So the other day, I decided to go direct, after years of keeping quiet. I’m just exaggerating here but somehow the subject never came up.
“You know, after all these years, you still don’t know me well. You don’t know what jewellery I like or what food I like to eat”
Well, the man didn’t get upset (well, maybe a little) but I think I’ve hurt his feelings a little. Hmm… I just don’t know how to do this. How do you tell someone you prefer something else after all the trouble and thought they have put into giving you something which they think is really nice and which they think they would like you to have?
How do you communicate effectively with your spouse, even over such a simple manner. I am clueless. I am terribly bad at communcation and after being married for 10 years, I am still learning. Care to share with me some effective communication skills? How do you communicate effectively with your spouse?
A little bit of fun: Know your birthstone.
- January Birthstone is Garnet (Deep Red)
- February Birthstone is Amethyst (Purple)
- March Birthstone is Aquamarine (Pale Blue)
- April Birthstone is Diamond (Clear or White)
- May Birthstone is Emerald (Green)
- June Birthstone is Pearl (White)
- July Birthstone is Ruby (Red)
- August Birthstone is Peridot (Pale Green)
- September Birthstone is Sapphire (Deep Blue)
- October Birthstone is Opal (Pink)
- November Birthstone is Citrine (Yellow)
- December Birthstone is Turquoise (Blue)