As a mother, do you encourage your kids to cook with you or do you prefer to keep them out of the kitchen because it creates more mess and you are worried about their safety. While safety is a real concern, if you take the proper safety precautions, there is no reason why your kids should not be bonding with you in the kitchen while you and they cook together.
Here are 10 Reasons Why Kids Should Cook.
2. Bonding through cooking - This gives you a chance to spend quality time with your child as you work together.
3. Team Work while cooking - If you have two or more children. Cooking with all the kids gives them an opportunity to work together as a team.
4. Kids learn about Planning and Project Management in order to cook - Kids learn how to manage a cooking project and get to see the end result of working on something. This is the perfect way to teach kids to manage projects.
5. Kids can discover the importance of Time Management through cooking - Kids will learn the importance of doing something according to a set given time through cooking.
6. Kids will Understand Nutrition when they cook - Teach kids about nutrition by cooking up something nutritious. Kids will be more likely to eat something they helped to cook.
7. Kids can get Creative during a cooking session - Cooking can be very creative, rather like crafting. Cooking is a form of art. When you bake, you can make silly shaped cookies and decorated them anyhow you like.
8. Kids will learn Maths while cooking - Kids learn about Maths and Counting when measuring the ingredients in a recipe. You can teach counting for example counting the number of eggs and measuring the volume of milk or weight of the flour.
9. Kids can learn Science through Cooking - Learning about the different tastes of condiments and the different types of ingredients in a recipe is Science!
10. Kids discover Self Esteem when they complete a cooking project - The delight and joy of seeing a project through from start to completion is something that kids can experience when they cook. Plus they can get to taste their completed 'project' too.
Remember to teach as you cook
Cooking with kids is an excellent time to teach kids about Maths, Science and Living Skills too!
Some Kids Prefer To Bake Rather Than Cooking Something Over The Stove. Baking Can Be A Fun First Cooking Activity
Kids Can Bake!: For Kids and Adults Who Love to Bake Together