Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Appreciation for all mothers with a special needs child

I would like to express an appreciation for all mothers with a special needs child. I would like to say a special prayer for them.

I do not have a special needs child but I do have a small taste of how it could be like and it is really not easy.

My girl has had two night incidents which the doctor's suspect as epileptic fits. This makes me extra worried about her. When you are extra worried about a child, this changes the dynamics of your family. You have to be careful not to be overly protective of that child whilst striving to be fair to your other children. That is a tough task. Even trying to be fair under normal circumstances is tough what more when it is a special situation.

Recently, when I went to see my aunt, perhaps due to lack of sleep (because she missed her afternoon nap), or perhaps due to her excitement and anxiety or probably due to all these reasons, she complained about feeling the unreal feeling again, feeling as if she is in a dream. This sort of feelings could be just generalized anxiety or it could be partial seizures. It is not very easy to diagnose.

The neurologist had said that he thought he saw "something there" when looking at her eeg results but that was all he could tell us. He had ordered a MRI but it was unsuccessful. The hospital has not called us again for another date for the MRI and we have decided not to pursue it at this point of time.

However, we must make sure that we take extra care to make sure that she gets enough sleep, no stress and try to make sure that she does not get sick from fevers etc as all these are seizure triggers. All this is very stressful and then there are those who do not know why I worry about fevers etc for my child who go about making senseless comments on my blog. Sigh. Thats one of the things about blogging. People who do not know you or the entire story feels compelled to make strong opinions about your one single blog post. Oh well..... thats the least of my worries.

My worries are for my girl alone. Every day I pray that she will not have another seizure again EVER in her life. And today, I'd like to add all other mothers with a special needs child in my prayer.

I remember when we were waiting to do the MRI, there was a mother sitting on one of the chairs quietly. Later I saw, her child being wheeled out pass us. It was just a baby and she had tubes all over her. I would like to include that mother and that child in my prayer today.

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I understand your feelings MG. Our worries for our children will never end. Even when they are 30 or 40 years old, we will still worry for them. Your account of the mother with her baby with tubes all over her body reminds me of the time I was in the hospital with Baby C. She had tubes all over her body and on her nose too. I pray that I never ever have to relive those days in the hospital. And I hope your girl will be just fine. All these worries are just part and parcel of life, of being a mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall pray that ur princess will never get another fit. I too pray everyday that my son had his 1st & last episode 2 yrs ago. I too make sure he has enough rest daily. Will be reducing his tablet to once a day after jis UPSR exams in sept & hopefully by Dec stop altogether

    ReplyDelete
  3. Health Freak Mommy,
    I can't imagine what you must have gone through.

    a&a'smom,
    Thank you. I will pray for your son too. I will pray that he can stop his medication altogether soon and he never has another episode ever again. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...