Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Perimenopause

During my recent health check, my gynaecologist told me that I am going through perimenopause,  the transition period before menopause sets in. I asked her what that meant and whether it required any treatment but since I did not have any symptoms accept for irregular periods, we decided to leave it alone for now.

My period started becoming irregular when I reached the age of 44. It had been very regular up till then, almost like clockwork and then suddenly it stopped for 4 months. I even thought I was pregnant at the time. I went for a check up then and was told that I was having hormonal imbalances. I told my husband that it explains my sudden bursts of anger. (Excuses. Excuses)

Anyway, since then, my period has been irregular, usually once in 4 months. I haven’t paid much attention to it. I guess I must record it more frequently to know the time lapse between each period.

So, how does it feel like to be going through perimenopause? Just the same, no difference. I feel as young as ever, in my  heart and mind, though not necessarily in body. Be right back

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. Hope the hormonal changes don't affect you all that much. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading this, that reminds me of the same problem one of my colleague is going through. She too thought she was going to reach menopause soon. Thanks for sharing. Otherwise I wouldn't have known what perimenopause is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither did I till the gynae mentioned it. :P

      Delete
  3. my period has just started to act up now. i missed one in November and my tummy was so bloated as if I was 6 months pregnant. Did you experience bloating?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...