Monday, April 26, 2010

Missed Period, What could be the reason?

I went to see my gynae when my period was late by 2-3 weeks. A home pregnancy test gave a negative result.

The gynae did a scan and another urine test. The urine test was again negative and she did not see any baby in the scan, only 2 cysts one on the right ovary and one on the left. Previously there was only one. Hmm... She didn't think the cysts were anything to worry about.

We did a whole series of test. First I was due for health screening so I did a normal blood test since I was already there. We also did a tumour marker test to check out those cysts. We did a hormone test too to find out what could be the reason for the missed period. She also took samples of the discharge for testing. She didn't think it was an infection. She said in an infection, it would be the opposite, there may be bleeding.

She said she would "challenge" it by prescribing me duphaston, a hormone pill. I was to take this twice a day for 5 days. At the end of 5 days, I should wait for another 5 days and my period should come then. If not, we have to further investigate the cause.

According to the gynae, the possible causes for a sudden missed period (I had been regular all the while) could be pregnancy (to which I tested negative twice), age (after 43 it may happen), stress or even womb cancer (that is one of the symptoms). That sounded scary to me. My mom died of womb cancer. I don't want to end up like her. I don't want to leave my children behind at a young age. I want to see them graduate, get their first job, get married, have children....

She said that the hormone pills may make me dizzy or even angry. As if I wasn't angry enough already. Grunt! There is just so many things to do and so little time to do it.... as always. Our tempers flare up easily.

So now I sit and wait for the late Miss Flo. I will be due to see the gynae again for a follow up visit.

Pin It

3 comments:

  1. When only time will tell, the best thing you can do is to try keep stress at minimum b'cos stress can worsen hormonal conditions (linked to cancer triggers). What's left is to pray and hope for the best!

    May the following weeks be gentle upon you, MG.

    anony-mouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with anony-mouse! Keep stress at minimum. And try some positive thinking. After all, if it really is a womb cancer, it was discovered soon enough and it can and it will be cured! But hey, it's not! It's just stress and hormones! Don't worry...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...