Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Unsuccessful MRI- Part 3

It was late evening and they were unable to do any intravaneous or other sedation methods without a doctor or medical officer being present so we would have to reschedule another appointment.

In our desperate attempt to avoid another attempt on another day (and our worries about the risks of other deeper forms of sedation or general anaesthesia being used), we persuaded our girl to try again. We said all the things we should not have said.

We told her that she could have her favourite tropicana ice-cream after the procedure. (even though she had a cough!). We pleaded with her to try so that she won't have to come back another day for an INJECTION! I even told her that if she was not successful they might have to reshedule the MRI on the day of her school trip and she would have to miss it. Isn't that just horrible? Yes, it is but we were desperate.

I had felt so anxious all week. I felt anxiety just before we left and she didn't want to take the oral sedative and then she took it and said she wanted to vomit. And to go through more anxiety and worry again seemed unthinkable at the time.

So she tried again but she was restless. Who wouldn't be? She is only 7 after all. Now, the experience of the MRI depends on each individual. You can either find it very uncomfortable and unpleasant or just slightly uncomfortable. You have to be in a dark tunnel for half hour. You have to lay very still and hear very loud sounds.

They allowed me to be in the room with my girl. I saw that the even put a thing that look like a cage over her face and snap it shut. Its not really that bad actually, its just to prevent movement but in my tired mind, I was worried that she'd be scared by it. I peered over the "cage" and showed her my earphones and told her that its ok, I can hear the very same sounds that she can hear and we can talk about it afterwards. They had given me earphones to block off the sound. She was given ear plugs.

However, the second attempt failed too. By now it was so late, the doc had called to ask if he could go home. We were the last to be driven back to the clinic but no one could reschedule another appointment for us. They were all unclear about when and how? By hospital admission and general anaesthesia or how? In the end, we told them to just call us to fix another day because we were just so tired we wanted to go home.

Both the kids were tired and hungry. And on the way home, finally, she fell asleep but I had to wake both the kids up to have dinner after that. I don't know whether to scream or cry.

Pin It

7 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear of the unsuccessful MRI and the trauma your girl and you had gone through. I had gone through all these too and they had made me a stronger and wiser mother. I hope all went well. BTW, I don't think they will administer GA in the MRI room. My baby's surgeon told me that GA can only be administered in the OT for safety purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, they won't. If GA has to be used, then it has to be hospital admission, and there will be an MO present throughout the procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh MG, so sorry to hear this. at the sound of it, your girl seems to be taking it better than you (so, in a way, it's a good thing for her). no moms should go thru this. i'll be praying for her and you. tk care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ryeli,
    I think you are right you know. She took it better than me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hugs! I cant imagine what all of u went tru with worries. Shall have u all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can imagine how stressful it is for u...Do stay strong and keep positive...A successful MRI is just round the corner. Will pray that the results will turnout fine and for the fits to go away...Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. a&a's mom,
    Thank you very much.

    Oliveoylz,
    Ok. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...